HOW TO ADMINISTER EYE DROPS
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Lie down or sit with your head tilted back and hold the bottle upside down in one hand between your thumb and index finger.
- Using your other hand, gently pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pouch or a pocket and look up.
- Allow one drop to enter the space between the lower lid and your eye.
- Close your eye.
- Place your index finger against the side of your nose near the eye. Apply LIGHT pressure for one to three minutes. This is called punctual occlusion – it reduces the eye drop draining into your nose.
- Remove any excess solution by wiping your eyelashes with a CLEAN tissue.
If administering more than one eye drop wait at least five minutes before administering the next eye drop. Otherwise, the second eye drop will wash the first one out of the eye.
- After using eye drops, wash your hands thoroughly again.
- Read the instruction on the label carefully and treat only the eye stated. Make sure you understand exactly what the instruction mean and follow them at all times. If in doubt – ask your pharmacist.
- If you are given a different bottle for each eye, make sure you use the correct bottle.
- If you think you may have difficulty using the eye drops, ask someone to do it for you.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children. Avoid taking medicine in front of very young children – they may copy your behaviour.
- Complete the course or take the medicine as instructed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose do not try to catch up by taking two or three missed doses at once.
- Never share your medicines, even if someone else has similar symptoms.
- Your vision may be blurred for a short time after using eye drops, gel or ointment. Do not drive or operate machinery until you can see clearly again.
- Do not let the dropper touch the eyelashes or the eye itself.
- Never rest the dropper on table tops or other surfaces.
- Do not breathe on the dropper or touch the dropper opening.
- Firmly close the lid immediately after use and store the bottle upright. Keep the bottle in a cool place or as directed.
- Dispose after four weeks of opening.
The table below will assist you when using your eye drops. Please ask your nurse, pharmacist or doctor to fill in your dosage requirements.
|Name of eye drop||Right or left eye||8am||10am||12pm||2pm||4pm||6pm||8pm||10pm|
If administering more than one eye drop wait at least 5 minutes before administering the next drop. Otherwise, the second eye drop will wash the first one out of the eye. Use thicker products last (drops before gel before ointment).