Dr Sky Chew
Eye Specialist and Surgeon
MBBS MMed FRANZCO
Dr Sky Chew specialises in general ophthalmology, diseases of the retina and paediatric eye disease. He believes he has the best job in Melbourne and is always thrilled when patients improve and get back to their daily lives.
Dr Sky Chew is Melbourne-trained through and through – from obtaining his medical degree from Melbourne University, to completing his Ophthalmology training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and subspecialising in Paediatric Ophthalmology at the Royal Children’s Hospital. Furthering his desire to constantly improve, he is now completing a medical retina and uveitis fellowship back at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
With his training, Dr Sky Chew can ensure that he offers expert care across a broad range of ophthalmic services. This includes:
- Laser surgery – retinal laser for diabetes or retinal tears, YAG peripheral iridotomy, YAG capsulotomy, SLT laser for glaucoma
- Cataract surgery
- Pterygium removal
- Retinal diseases including diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, vein occlusion, central serous retinopathy
- Paediatric eye diseases – amblyopia management (lazy eyes), glasses correction, strabismus (squints/turned eyes), blocked tear ducts, paediatric cataracts
- Inflammatory eye disease/uveitis
- Common lid diseases (stye/chalazion removal, lid lesion removal)
- Blepharitis and dry eyes
Dr Sky Chew is also actively involved in research and has published over 15 peer-reviewed publications. He is also a co-investigator in multiple research trials at the Centre for Eye Disease and Research, Melbourne (CERA).
Outside of work, you’ll occasionally spot him in the wild attempting to croon with his piano, guitar or violin (in order of preference).